Below is a list of dog foods to avoid giving to a dog because they are poisonous or can cause
health problems to dogs:
• Chocolate - Please do not be tempted to give your dog any of the
chocolate that you eat. Human chocolate contains Theobomine and caffeine and in large doses can be fatal
to dogs, even a small bar. Symptoms of poisoning from this foods to avoid for dogs
include seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle tremors, an increase in heart
rate and restlessness. The caffeine can cause hyperactivity and nervousness. Early Veterinary examination is recommended.
Whilst my four legged companion sat beside me I wrote a book which tells the story of
The Drummer Boy.
This novel is about the ghost of a Gordon Highlander Drummer Boy from the Battle of Waterloo who haunts a modern day army nurse.
Chapters take place in modern day Aberdeen, at the Noose & Monkey bar and restaurant as well as His Majesty’s Theatre and Garthdee. Other scenes take place at Tidworth and during the Napoleonic War.
Flat-Coated Retriever (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)
is a detailed flat coated retrievers book, published by Kennel Club Books, which will prove useful to any owner. Chapters include the history of the Flat Coat dog, advice on choosing a puppy, health care and training tips.
If you would like to add your text, image, product, service, website or photo to this flat-coats page then please Contact Me.
• Lactose - Found in dairy products and milk. Older dogs cannot digest lactose because
they do not produce the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the products. Puppies will produce
lactase until they are weaned from their mother.
• Potatoes - The intestines of dogs find it difficult to break down starch -
it crystallises and cannot be broken down. It may also start to ferment within the intestines.
• Fruit - Dogs can find fruit acidic because of the high sugar content. This
may cause indigestion for some dogs. In moderation and as an occasional treat may be fine for
• Raisins and Grapes - Please do not feed your dog these: they are one of ther top dog foods to avoid because they can cause renal
failure because of the mould, which occurs naturally on their skins. Signs to look for in this foods to avoid for dogs include diarrhoea, vomiting, refusing
to eat and lethargy.
• Poultry Bones - Poultry bones, such as turkey, chicken and duck should never be given to dogs and is another dog foods to avoid. Poultry
bones are easily splintered and can cause choking or damage the gastro intestinal tract of your dog or cause infections.
• Onion - The chemical in an onion is poisonous to a dog and have a cumulative effect of causing anaemia because the onion weakens the dog's red blood cells.
• Rain Water - Beware of allowing your dog to drink rainwater which will not only be stagnant but could contain dangerous antifreeze from nearby parked cars. Dogs will find the antifreeze sweet tasting but it is very dangerous when ingested.
Free UK Delivery on Pet Portraits from photographs at Karla's Creative Capers who did the portrait on the
left from a photo of my Lucy. The portraits are ready to hang on the wall and are of a high
quality canvas. For full details see www.karlascreativecapers.co.uk